The Wilson Wire

The Student News Site of Wilson High School

Upcoming Events
  • It's the last month of the school year! 10 AM starts next week!

The Wilson Wire

The Wilson Wire

Catastrophic Disaster at Mystery Flesh Pit National Park

July 6, 2007 – At least 750 people are dead due to torrential rains causing movement from the Permian Basin Organism at Mystery Flesh Pit National Park.

Discovered in 1970 by oil drillers in western Texas, this national park is one of a kind. The park allowed people to tour the lungs, digestive system and throat of a large, dormant monster. However, due to the events on July 4, the park is closed indefinitely. 

Anodyne, the company that hosts the park, has only come out to say the event was a “premature geobiological consumption event caused by the catastrophic failure of critical park infrastructure to constrain and limit the gastric, motor, and neurological actions of the Permian Basin Superorganism.”

At around 10:30 a.m. on July 4, severe rains caused the park administrators to cancel a concert and fireworks display scheduled for that night. Many visitors who had already purchased tickets to the event were upset, and a decision was made to extend the park hours until midnight for those with pre-paid tickets.

The harvesting crews in the western extremities of the organism extracted more than ever before, as they were trying to meet a quota for bonuses in time for the holiday weekend. A routine system self-test discovered a relay fault error due to this and also increased electrical demand from tourist infrastructure.

Water drainage from the surface rain went into the mouth of the superorganism and collected in the sand gullet. Drainage pumps were automatically activated but failed to start due to the relay fault. An emergency back-up pump was then also automatically activated but stopped a minute later. The emergency pipe had been under-lubricated and was not properly taken care of, resulting in corrosion due to the moist interior of the flesh pit environment.

By 9:48, the sand gullet was completely submerged, water began to pour over the dorsal respiratory ridge and into bronchial bulbules and control room operators were diverting power to hydraulic stent rams to brace for the expected choke response due to the water getting into the lungs of the creature. Three minutes later, technicians reset the park’s electrical grid, an action that takes 45 seconds. However, park guests were not notified because the PA system shut down at 8:00 p.m., the normal closing time. This caused a panic with all of the guests as the lights went out.

31 seconds into the electrical reset, the organism began performing a choking action, causing the dorsal trunk to flex violently. Lack of power to the hydraulic stent rams caused extreme, irreparable damage to several sections of internal infrastructure. Two of the six structural supports for the lower visitor center were torn from their foundations, causing the facility to tilt 20 degrees. This was well beyond its design limit angle.

Just before 10 p.m., the master alarm was tripped automatically and surface f

acilities were notified as response teams were given the order to mobilize. Park rangers were dispatched to rescue groups of visitors trapped in partially collapsed tunnels and trails.

Continued movement of the organism combined with rainwater caused an upper entry gantry support to slip. An outbound elevator conducted an emergency stop, stranding over two dozen visitors. Surface facilities in and around the organism were destabilized due to soil liquefaction. Dilation anchors retracted to keep the entry orifice open.

20,000 liters of aconitine compound were injected into the organism, causing tremors and convulsions to intensify. The lower visitor center detached completely and began to collapse downward into the nexal cavity. The organism’s body began preparing to vomit, causing extreme pressure on the outside of the lower visitor center. Many guests on the stalled elevator tried climbing out to the surface, but moisture due to torrential rains caused the surface to become very slippery, so most of them ended up falling back into the mouth.

The liquid that the enormous subterranean animal vomited up has been categorized as “caustic chyma slurry.” The chyma slurry erupted from the surface orifice in a geyser several hundred meters high. Several pieces of undigested organic matter crushed several vehicles and damaged windows. Gastric ejecta was introduced into the atmosphere, which could cause many physical and mental problems for people in Gumption county. The odor of the vomit also permeated the entirety of the county.

About a minute after the vomit erupted like a geyser, a roar erupted from the entry orifice. Limbs of the creature began surfacing through bedrock and soil approximately 18 to 74 miles away from the mouth.

Two park service vehicles and a tour vehicle attempted to go out to the surface. Muscle action crushed the tour vehicle and sucked the two park service vehicles back down through the esophagus into the stomach. All people on board have been presumed dead.

At 11 p.m., the Pentagon was given authorization from the White House to use nuclear force if necessary to prevent the organism becoming active or able to walk. The lower visitor center completely collapsed. Spasms and motor action of the superorganism began to noticeably subside. Response teams started to descend to attempt rescue operations.

A response team made it to the stalled elevator, finding that most people in there were dead. The survivors were mortally wounded and partially digested due to the stomach acid.

Around midnight, three inter-pit lifeforms were identified as having been ejected onto the surface. 15 visitors were injured, and seven were hunted by these lifeforms. Park staff succeeded in killing all three inter-pit lifeforms.

At 1 a.m., National Guard helicopters began delivering supplies and personnel to aid in site containment. At 2 a.m., a field hospital was constructed to care for wounded visitors and staff. At 6 a.m., several industrial sedatives were injected into the superorganism.

At 11:20 a.m., several injured visitors inexplicably left the field hospital and began to walk towards the open pit orifice. 38 individuals were able to crawl back into the orifice over the course of eight hours. None were recovered.

Tremors from the catastrophic event were registered over 350 miles away. Citizens in and around the area of Odessa, Texas are urged to evacuate until further notice.