The Wilson Wire

The Student News Site of Wilson High School

Upcoming Events
  • It's the last month of the school year!

The Wilson Wire

The Wilson Wire

Booktalks Club

Booktalks+Club

Calling all readers! The Booktalks club is open to anyone who would like to talk about trending books or anyone interested in chatting about literature. The club is often described as a collaborative and uplifting atmosphere where all opinions are welcome. 

In such stressful days with screens taking our time, Booktalks is the haven of creative minds, books and friends brought together by stories. It’s not just about the books, but also the community we create. The club is an entertaining and uplifting place where students can show their love or hate for any given book.

The Booktalks club began last spring, with Lara Rodriguez Matias, Riley Mattes as presidents and plenty of members. Now, with the addition of Paula Florez as a vice president, as well. 

Lara Rodriguez Matias began the club in her tenth-grade year. When asked why she began the club, Rodrigues said;

”I started this club because in 10th grade, I fell in love with reading fiction and contemporary novels but I didn’t have anyone to talk to about the books I read with. I figured there must be other students who love reading but don’t have bookish friends. So, I thought, why not create a club where we can get excited about reading and talking about books together? It’s just a fun place for us bookworms to hang out and chat about our favorite reads with people who actually care and enjoy reading just as much!”

Most members joined out of a love for reading and wish to enrich their reading habits. Suffice to say that the comforting atmosphere of the club is helpful in motivating anyone to read. 

The top three aspects members enjoy about the club are the people, the discussion and the environment. Most members recall the club fondly with positive words of appreciation.

The club was recently granted $500 to cover books for everyone, meaning that for members, books are free. Not only are they free, but they may also keep them after they’ve finished reading. Though, if the book is not desired, it can always be donated or exchanged for another. 

The club meets the first or second Monday of every month to discuss the book of the month and select a book for the upcoming month (room D429, otherwise known as Mrs. Windt’s room). As the advisor of the club, Mrs. Windt most often knows the meeting dates and can be approached for their confirmation.

So far, the club has read “Daisy Jones and the Six” by Taylor Jenkins Reid, “Every Summer After” by Carley Fortune, “This Time Next Year” by Sophie Cousens, “Everything I Know About Love” by Dolly Alderton, and just this March, “In Another Life” by Taylor Jenkins Reid, with many more books to come as the club continues to grow. There is a form where members may recommend books to be added to the list, embedded below:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SUZAYKLcnz7k-faPmTxtfNvV3ntbN5Hws-u_35gUfGw/viewform?edit_requested=true

Booktalks has a safe and engaging ambiance that encourages its members to read more and exchange their views on their books, whether it be to talk about the books they loved or the ones they could not even finish. If anyone is interested in joining the club. they can email either presidents of the club (their emails are listed below)!

[email protected] 

[email protected]