The Wilson Wire

The Student News Site of Wilson High School

Upcoming Events
  • It's the last month of the school year! 10 AM starts next week!

The Wilson Wire

The Wilson Wire

“Bright Light” Laken Hope Riley Murdered While On a Jog

On the morning of Thursday, Feb 22nd, beloved 22-year-old Laken Hope Riley went out for a routine jog at the Intramural Fields at the University of Georgia’s campus. Little did she know the horrors she would soon entail, which would ultimately end her life.

Riley was a well-respected, intelligent nursing student at the Augusta University College of Nursing. Her freshman year roommate described Riley as, “the sweetest, most pure-hearted young woman” who “brought so many people together and developed so many friendships.” She went on runs frequently, and thought of nothing out of the ordinary when she went for a jog on Thursday morning. 

However, Riley’s body was soon found in a wooded area behind Lake Herrick. Authorities reported that there were “visible injuries” on her body, which helped Athens-Clarke County Coroner Sonny Wilson come to the conclusion that Riley was murdered from blunt force trauma to the head. UGA Police Chief Jeff Clark stated that this was a “crime of opportunity,” and was determined to find who committed this vicious crime.

Clark and the Athens Police were eventually successful, as murder suspect Jose Antonio Ibarra (26) was arrested and charged with felony murder, false imprisonment and kidnapping, and concealing the death of another. There was no connection to Ibarra and Riley knowing each other, but simply rather that Ibarra did this in the moment. 

Authorities also soon discovered that Ibarra is an illegal, undocumented immigrant from Venezuela. Though research has found that there is no direct tie to illegal immigration and high crime, Republican politicians have been using this case as an advocate for tighter border control policies and a way to criticize President Joe Biden. An example of this could be seen through the actions of Georgia Governor Brian Kemp, who wrote a letter to Joe Biden criticizing his immigration policies and demanding for more information on Ibarra. 

Regardless of political debates over this case, hundreds of people are grieving for Laken Riley. President of Riley’s former sorority, UGA’s Alpha Chi Omega, Chloe Mullen spoke on behalf of her deceased friend. “Laken showed devotion with every aspect of her life,” was stated by Mullen, and that Alpha Chi Omega, “lost one of the brightest lights that has ever been.” Many of Riley’s friends also spoke on her behalf, one saying that “she helped me find joy in life,” another saying she “taught me so many lessons about life, friendship, and sisterhood.” The Georgia community continues to grieve over the loss of Laken Hope Riley, a girl of kind manners and intelligence. The Riley Family created the Laken Hope Riley Foundation in order to promote women’s safety, and as of Friday, over $170,000 has been raised. Riley was very loved who had great potential for one day becoming a nurse, and although her life ended far too soon, the remembrance of her beautiful soul will live on.