The Wilson Wire

The Student News Site of Wilson High School

Upcoming Events
  • It's the last month of the school year! 10 AM starts next week!

The Wilson Wire

The Wilson Wire

Ruby-Red Machinations – A Review of Amazon Prime’s: Saltburn

Photo courtesy of IMDb

Saltburn, a gripping thriller directed by Emerald Fennell, rocked Amazon Prime on November 17, 2023. The film has since been obsessed over on social media and en masse alike. The story itself takes viewers on a suspenseful journey filled with unexpected twists and turns. This film showcases the talents of its cast and crew, delivering a unique cinematic experience that keeps audiences engaged from start to finish.

The plot revolves around Oliver Quick (Barry Keoghan), a student at Oxford who quickly becomes obsessed with popular, aristocratic student Felix Catton. (Jacob Elordi) After quickly growing a bond over a series of “fortuitous” events, Felix invites Oliver to spend the summer at his family’s affluent estate, Saltburn.

One of the film’s strongest attributes is its ability to create a vivid sense of eeriness. The cinematography and production design transport viewers into the beautiful yet haunting world of Saltburn. Every scene is shot with breathtaking detail, adding depth and a tangible sense of atmosphere to the story. The film’s bright color palette perfectly matches the facadal tone, further enhancing the overall experience.

The performances in Saltburn are outstanding all around. The two standout actors are Barry Keoghan and of course, the internet’s current boyfriend, Jacob Elordi. Keoghan and Elordi’s portrayals perfectly contrast one another. Keoghan plays an uncanny, chilling character who is very careful and calculating. The audience is constantly left on the edge of their seat wondering what his next move is. Likewise, Elordi provides a sense of levity and reason to the story, acting as the charming, free-spirited golden boy. The cast overall delivers nuanced and compelling portrayals of their characters. Their chemistry and authenticity add layers of complexity to the storyline, making it all the more captivating.

While the pacing of the film is deliberate, mirroring the slow unraveling of the mysteries within Saltburn, some viewers may find it slightly slow-paced at times. However, this choice ultimately contributes to the film’s overall atmospheric quality and serves the story well.

The screenplay, also written by Fennell, is well-crafted and keeps viewers engaged throughout. The plot gradually reveals surprising revelations and introduces thought-provoking themes, successfully blending elements of suspense, mystery, drama, and comedy. The cleverly executed twists and turns create an enjoyable and unpredictable narrative.

The movie’s soundtrack, composed by Anthony Willis, deserves special mention, as it complements the film perfectly. The haunting yet soothing melodies and evocative soundscapes heighten the tension and create a sense of unease, elevating the overall viewing experience.

Overall, this film is a captivating and atmospheric thriller that excels in its storytelling, performances, and visual presentation. It immerses viewers in a mysterious world, leaving them intrigued and craving more. While it may not appeal to those who are easily turned off by some of the grosser or unsettling elements, fans of suspenseful and thought-provoking films will undoubtedly find Saltburn to be a satisfying cinematic experience.